Sunday, October 21, 2012

Geocoding



This lab consisted of using our new geocoding skills in a research question. I decided to
research the 25 closest libraries to my elementary, Third Street Elementary School, and
then compare the amount of libraries to the population of children 5-17 in that area. I
first made a spreadsheet of the 25 closest Los Angeles public libraries closest to 201 S.
June St. 90004. I then went through the process of geocoding and overlaying the points
in my map on the streets layer. I noticed that there were a lot more libraries towards the
East but not as many in the West. I then decided to obtain some census information to
see the demographics of the area. I mapped amount of children ages 5-17 per polygon
and discovered that there are more children living in the East than there are living in the
West. Although there are more libraries in the East because there are more children in
the East, the majority of the libraries are in the Northern region, but more children are in
the Southern region. This may have to do partly with the income of the area. Areas
more South tend to be of lower income than those in the North. Geocoding allowed me
to display where each library is located along with labeling each library.

No comments:

Post a Comment